Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Filming Abroad

  1. #1
    Inactive Member shirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7th, 2000
    Posts
    274
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Your best bet is to contact the countries embassy in the country that you live in, and they will send you in the right direction...

  2. #2
    Inactive Member mightybifkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 1st, 2001
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post


    What is the deal with filming abroad? I want to get some footage in Thailand, but I dont want to end up in the sh*t for it. Do I need permission, or can I just go and film. I am looking to get footage of outside temples and the River Kwai bridge....???

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Jon Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 18th, 1999
    Posts
    110
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You should be OK. Just get permission if you want to film inside temples with camera on tripods. Some places have a rule of thumb that any stills or video shot using a tripod must be for professional or commercial use. They may then want a fee. This applies everywhere not just in Thailand. Just try whipping out your sticks on Cambridge University grounds and see what happens.

    Before leaving the country, draw up a detailed inventory on paper of all the kit you are taking, right down to cables/leads, incl. all serial numbers. This will prove useful later for insurance claims and for customs - to prove you are bringing in additional equipment, you didn't leave with, or you haven't disposed of equipment whilst abroad.

    Jon.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member mightybifkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 1st, 2001
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post


    Thanks for the good advice, though I'll blame you if I come back with my hands cut off.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member wolfwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2001
    Posts
    82
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Angry

    No one gets their hands cut off in Thailand. I should know, my mom's from there. Here's
    another helpful hint. Bring toilet paper. They don't use it over there. Atleast not in the public restrooms.

    ------------------
    "Do it, Doug!"

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Jon Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 18th, 1999
    Posts
    110
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My mother is also Thai, and I lived there for half my life. Thai people are very friendly and helpful, and Thailand is no more dangerous than most countries.

    If you are filming in temples or the royal palaces, dress smartly and be aware of local customs. Thais are deeply religious budhists, so show respect to their beliefs.

    Jon.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Jon Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 18th, 1999
    Posts
    110
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Actually, if you want dodgy countries to film in, I've got a weeks work filming in Columbia on Betacam, at the end of this month.

    Have you checked out the murder and kidnap rates in that country? It's one of the highest in the world.

    Jon

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •